An acquired pigmentary condition, occurring most commonly on the facial region, more prevalent in females and darker skin complexion. Due to this type of condition, people lose their confidence in their self-esteem and also got depression, anxiety-like problems because women are beauty-centric and anything that affects their beauty they can’t tolerate. They tried everything to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation.
Money does not matter in this case. Women with low economical status are also spent a lot of money to get them treated. So in this article, I will cover each and every aspect of melasma, dark patches or you can say hyperpigmentation. This article definitely helps the women who are facing such types of problems. I will give you the best mainstream as well as alternatives like ayurvedic, homeopathic best solutions to get rid of melasma.
Melasma is a type of hyperpigmentation of the skin which causes dark or brown patches on the facial skin. The patches appear on the cheeks on the forehead usually. sometimes patches appear on the tip of the nose and sometimes on the arms. Melasma affects women as compared to men.
It’s caused by the overproduction of Melanin. Melanin a type of pigment that defines the skin color of anybody and melasma or hyperpigmentation is caused by an increase in the production of melanin pigment.
Melanin is produced by our skin cells called Melanocytes and an enzyme known as TYROSINASE boosts the skin cells to produce melanin pigment.
- So if you want to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation then you must inhibit the activity of the TYROSINASE enzyme.
- There are a lot of factors that increase the production of Melanin in the skin by increasing the activity of the TYROSINASE enzyme directly or indirectly.
FACTORS THAT BOOST TYROSINASE ACTIVITY:
1.Changes in hormone levels…….
Especially caused by pregnancy and the use of oral contraceptive pills, it’s the main cause of melasma in females. Melasma also occurs due to an imbalance of estrogen-progesterone hormones in females.
Ultraviolet rays present in sunlight also trigger the overproduction of Melanin in the skin and it is also the most common cause of melasma. It also boosts tyrosinase activity.
- Melasma is quite common in women, especially during and after pregnancy.
- Most pregnant women experience melasma and the condition is known as “the mask of pregnancy”.
- Men can also face melasma, but it is much more common in women.
Many diseases like Thyroid, Cancers, Hormonal imbalances,pcod also trigger the production of Melanin and cause hyperpigmentation. And there are a lot of other conditions that boost the activity of the tyrosinase enzyme.
- Another main cause of melasma or skin discoloration is the overuse of over-the-counter steroid creams and so many other creams without proper guidance.
A variety of treatment options available in the market and the primary treatment options are Medicines and Peels to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation.
- keep remembering Laser is not the primary treatment before selecting laser treatment you must try medicines.
- In the medicines, there is a lot of variety especially Modern English medicines, alternative medicines like Ayurvedic and Homeopathic medicines.
- You must try alternative medicines if you are not getting enough results.
- keep remembering Laser is the last option.
- NOTE ….These medicines inhibit the activity of the TYROSINASE enzyme that boosts up the production of Melanin pigment in the skin.
THREE TYPES OF MEDICINAL TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE MAINLY TO TREAT MELASMA
1.ALLOPATHIC MEDICINAL TREATMENT…..
It is the most effective and most popular treatment in the world but has limitations. First of all, I describe modern English medicines which are very effective. But also have so many side and adverse effects. So you should use them wisely and consult with your skin doctor before starting. Modern medicines are pioneers in the treatment of melasma in the world. Here are the names:
Is the primary medicine available in the modern medical system and this is quite effective in the treatment of melasma. This medicine works by inhibiting the activity of the TYROSINASE enzyme and reduces pigmentation.
- Hydroquinone also helps us to treat many other skin conditions like FRECKLES, SUN SPOTS, and POST INFLAMMATORY HYPERPIGMENTATION.
Important point…..Hydroquinone is strong medicine and has a lot of side and adverse effects. For example like redness, burning sensation, hypopigmentation, stinging, change in skin color. You should use this 2 to 4% concentration and not more than three months.
So please consult with your skin doctor(dermatologist)before selecting hydroquinone for melasma treatment.
- Hydroquinone is used in combination forms with steroids, glycolic acid, and other substances to get maximum benefits.
The second main medicine also used to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation. It’s a derivative of hydroquinone and can be used in place of hydroquinone. Mequinol’s safety profile is more than hydroquinone.
The third main medicine is also used to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation. It’s a derivative of VITAMIN A. This medicine is used in combination forms and used orally as well as topically.
- Retinol, Retinoic acid, Retinol dialdehyde, Tretinoin, Adapalene, tazarotene are the common topical used retinoids. Retinols like isotretinoin is also used orally and this definitely helps to control the production of Melanin and stabilize the melanocytes by controlling the TYROSINASE activity.
- Retinoids are used only at night because light reduces their activity. Retinoids are very strong medicines and must be used carefully.
This is the fourth medicine. It is also used to treat melasma or hyperpigmentation. it also controls the activity of the TYROSINASE enzyme.
- azelaic acid is the safest drug and also protects your skin from free radical effects. Because it has antioxidant properties.it is also used to treat pimples and post-acne pigmentation.
Another medicine that also useful in the treatment of melasma or hyperpigmentation. Kojic acid also used in so many skin conditions. Kojic acid is also a safe drug.
- 1 to 4 % concentration of kojic acid is used normally with hydroquinone and glycolic acid and it’s a very effective treatment of melasma. you can use kojic acid twice a day. Kojic acid is also used in cosmetic skin care products.
Another medicine used to treat melasma. Arbutin extracts from dried leaves of cranberry, blueberry plants.
Arbutin is found in so many fairness and beauty-related creams in the form of ALPHA ARBUTIN and BETA ARBUTIN.
- Usually, arbutin is a safe drug and it is also a derivative of hydroquinone.
- it has also anti-aging properties.
7.ASCORBIC ACID ……….
Another molecule that is also used to treat hyperpigmentation. L-ASCORBIC ACID OR VITAMIN C is a very important molecule to improve skin texture.
8.LICORICE ROOT EXTRACTS……….
Another molecule is also effective to lighten skin conditions. it is also used in so many cosmetic skin care products. it is very safe and also has antimicrobial properties.in Ayurveda, it is called mulethi a type of herb. Mulethi is used in so many conditions like sore throat,in wound healing etc.
9.PHOTO PROTECTION …………
PHOTO PROTECTION OR SUN PROTECTION is the main and the most powerful weapon to handle hyperpigmentation or melasma. you can say the king of all treatment. Without photos or sun protection it is not possible to get rid of melasma.
- your all efforts are worthless if you don’t take sun protection measures.
- your pigmentation reoccurs if you don’t take sun protection.
- sun protection or photoprotection is the key to getting rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation.
- you must take this measure if you are serious to treat your condition.
All the above-mentioned drugs are not used without consulting with a dermatologist because some drugs like hydroquinone cause major skin damage if you do not use them wisely.
IMPORTANT NOTE MUST READ…… (Melasma or Hyperpigmentation how to get rid of)
- Not used these drugs for a period of more than three months.
- Before using any topical ointment, must check its sensitivity to your skin.
- This is done by applying a small amount of cream to your facial skin with the help of your fingertip. If you feel any redness or itching or burning sensation then you must avoid its reuse.
This is all about the English medicines for melasma.
- Now I tell you about the medicated company brands having excellent results.
These brands are basically used the above-mentioned salts precisely and concentration-wise to minimize the side or adverse effects.
For getting the maximum benefit you can use either of anyone in the below-mentioned products.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PREGNANT AND LACTATING WOMEN PLEASE DONT USE THESE CREAMS WITHOUT DERMATOLOGIST CONSULTATION.
2. RETINO-A and the third is STEROID cream, easily available at the chemist store.
MELALITE FORTE CREAM BY ABBOTT PHARMA
MELALITE XL CREAM BY ABBOTT PHARMA
TRIGLOW CREAM BY GLENMARK PHARMA
- These are strong and very effective creams for melasma or hyperpigmentation treatment. You can use any of them only AT NIGHT after washing your face. You use these products on the major pigmented area not on the mild spots.
- Before using these creams must conduct an allergy test as I mentioned above. You must use SUNSCREEN LOTION having SPF FACTOR between 30 to 40 in the next morning on a daily routine basis. Use this treatment for a period of 3 to 6 months for getting maximum benefits.
ESLITE 15 cream of elder pharma also has great results.
EXCELLENT SUNSCREEN LOTIONS FOR PHOTO PROTECTION PLUS ROUTINE SKINCARE GUIDELINES:
(Melasma or Hyperpigmentation how to get rid of)
you must have to use sunscreen lotions for the prevention of melasma or hyperpigmentation. It is because PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE and it is almost impossible to treat melasma without photoprotection. I emphasized again and again about photoprotection.
Most women don’t get relief from melasma because they miss photoprotection. It is an integral part of melasma treatment and if you seriously want to get rid of melasma then you must have to follow photoprotection.
First for those who don’t go outside in the direct sunlight and stay inside actually don’t need to use sunscreens only follow some simple tips ……….
FOR NORMAL SKIN TYPE PERSONS……..
They wash their face twice daily with normal cool water. They can use CALADRYL LOTION in the daytime on the face. And apply ALOE VERA GEL or simple EXTRA VIRGIN or VIRGIN COCONUT OIL at NIGHTTIME on their face before going to sleep.
FOR OILY OR COMBINATION SKIN TYPE PERSONS……
OILY SKIN or combination skin type persons wash their face with normal PEAR SOAP or PEAR FACE WASH or MYSORE SANDAL SOAP in the daytime and apply normal CALADRYL LOTION at day time.
AT NIGHT TIME they can use CLEAN & CLEAR OIL-FREE MOISTURIZER or OIL-FREE MOISTURE BY NEUTROGENA COMPANY after washing their face.
FOR DRY SKIN PERSONS
DRY SKIN TYPE persons normally wash their face with normal water and apply BIOTIQUE SAFFRON YOUTH DEW CREAM or CETAPHIL MOISTURISING LOTION twice daily.
Above mentioned tips are for the skincare of those persons who actually don’t need sunscreen lotion and stay inside and don’t come in contact with direct sunlight.
Now the guidelines for the persons who go outside and face direct sunlight.
Here I describe the different types of sunscreen lotions according to the skin type of a person and it is of utmost importance to use sunscreen to get rid of melasma.
FOR OILY OR COMBINATION SKIN
You should wash your face with mild cleansing foam like ACNE AID WASH facial cleansing foam twice daily in the morning and night or with an acne aid bar.
And before going outside you should use or apply LAKME SUN EXPERT ULTRA MATTER GEL SPF 50 or APEX SUNBLOCK OC GEL for photoprotection.
AT NIGHT again wash your face with cleansing foam and then apply CETAPHIL MOISTURIZER LOTION or NEUTROGENA OIL-FREE MOISTURIZER on the face. Pics of both lotions display in the upper section.
IMPORTANT POINT FOR ACNE PRONE SKIN PERSONS………
(Melasma or Hyperpigmentation how to get rid of)
Persons who have acne-prone skin use SASLIC DS foaming face wash of Cipla company or GLYCOLIC +SALISYLIC ACID face wash of GLOBUS company for face washing.
FOR DRY OR NORMAL SKIN PERSONS
DRY OR NORMAL SKIN persons should wash their face with simple water twice or thrice a day.
Before going outside they use GSK company’s SPECTRABAN ULTRA SUNSCREEN LOTION or they can use SPER SUNSCREEN LOTION of Wockhardt company.
These sunscreen lotions also contain moisturizers so there is no need to use moisturiser additionally.
At night you can use biotique’s saffron youth dew cream or CETAPHIL DAILY HYDRATING LOTION or OLAY TOTAL EFFECT NIGHT CREAM.
FOR SENSITIVE SKIN PERSONS…….
Also, use cold water to wash their face and use SPECTRABAN SENSITIVE SUNSCREEN LOTION by gsk or NEUTROGENA’S SUNSCREEN FOR SENSITIVE SKIN SPF 60+ or
NIVEA’S SUNSCREEN FOR SENSITIVE SKIN should be used.
- And at night after washing the face they use CETAPHIL MOISTURISING LOTION for dry and sensitive skin or you can use AVEENO DAILY MOISTURISING LOTION. These are very reputed brands without having any side effects.
- You can also use other company brands like lotus, khadi, etc according to your choice. But the important point is the persons who have oily or acne-prone skin should use only oil-free, light, and gel-based sunscreen lotions.
- And dry and normal skin type persons avoid the excessive use of soaps and also use light creams or moisturizing lotions at night. Also, use sunscreen that has both properties like sunblock as well as moisturizing effects.
- Sensitive skin persons also read the label of sunscreen lotions mentioned as “SUITABLE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN”.These are the most important and effective tips for skin care and also helps to get rid of melasma.
A very effective method, in this procedure some kind of lotion is applied to your skin. Then due to this lotion, your dead skin exfoliates and removes in day to weeks. The potency of the solution is different types.it is selected by the doctor which is best for your skin.
- Chemical Peels are also a very effective treatment option to get rid of melasma or skin pigmentation.
- Acids solutions are also used for the effective removal of skin pigmentation.
- Salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and TCA chemical peels are commonly used to get rid of melasma or hyperpigmentation.it is very effective.
- The types of peel used may vary according to your skin types, textures, and results.
- By this process, your excess pigment is removed from your hyperpigmented areas. Then the skin rejuvenates again so it is very effective.
- Mild side effects like mild itching mild redness may happen. But these are minimal, not serious.
- You should follow strict photoprotection after this procedure. This is mandatory if you want to get rid of melasma.
- It is also a simple procedure to treat superficial pigmentation.
- in this procedure, your dead skin cells remove with the help of a small handheld device.it is a safe procedure and you can select this if your melasma is superficial and mild.
Laser treatments involve ‘zapping’ the affected areas of the skin with high-energy light rays.
- Q-switched ND-YAG laser(HELIOS 3) is used in the treatment of melasma and it also has different types.
- You should select the laser that must be approved by US-FDA. Because its quality standards are very high. It precisely delivers the energy to the affected pigmented part of the skin and not affects the surrounding skin.
- A laser that is not approved by US-FDA can increase your skin pigmentation so be careful while selecting laser treatment.
- Laser therapy heats up and breaks down the Melanin pigment without affecting the surrounding skin.it only targets the affected areas of the skin with minimal side effects.
- Different types of laser treatment can be used in the treatment of melasma depending on the severity of pigmentation.
- Removal of pigmentation with the help of laser Techniques is a quick, gentle, and non-invasive treatment. while laser treatment the laser can feel similar to the flicking of an elastic rubber band and it is not uncomfortable for most people.
- Immediate darkening of the skin occurs after laser treatment.
For a few days, the area looks like a dark wound that eventually peels off.
- Laser therapy may help to decrease the appearance of melasma significantly.
- The laser treats the body and facial parts with Minimal side effects and less recovery time. The laser is not the primary treatment except for some conditions like LICHEN PLANUS PIGMENTOSUS, PREGNANCY INDUCED PIGMENTATION, TATTOO REMOVAL, etc.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINAL TREATMENT
(Melasma or Hyperpigmentation how to get rid of)
In alternatives like homeopathic medicinal system there are some medicines also works well in the treatment of melasma or hyperpigmentation. Here I tell you the name of some effective homeopathic medicines:
1- Thuja occ 200 you can take 2 drops in the night it is basically to treats hormonal imbalances also effective in pigmentation. It is a safe drug you can buy it from the chemist or you can buy it online also.
2- China Officinalis 30 you can take 2 drops 3 times a day
3- Caulophyllum 30 YOU CAN TAKE 2 drops 3 times a day
4. Copaiva Officinalis 30 is also very effective you can take 2 drops three times a day
5.Topi berberis cream very effective for topical use you can use this cream three times a day mainly in the daytime after wash your face. Plus also take thuja occ 200 along with this medicine for better results.
6-Topi thuja cream for topical use only
7-Marks go cream apply at night for topical use only you can use this cream only at night after washing your face.
8. you can also use BERBERIS aquifolium mother tincture mixed with an equal quantity of ROSE water or moisturizer and use it topically on pigmented spots directly three times a day. Use this with the help of a cotton swab. It is also effective in melasma.
These medicines are used for so many diseases. Here I only explain their use in skin pigmentation so please don’t be confused while searching these drugs. In the alternative pathy medicinal system, one medicine is not used for a single disease here one medicine can be used in so many diseases.
PRESCRIPTION FOR MELASMA TREATMENT FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING…
IF PIGMENTATION OCCURS DURING PREGNANCY PERIOD THEN YOU SHOULD TAKE…
- 1. DROPS CAULOPHYLLUM THALI.( dr reckeweg company) image already displayed.
- 2. DROPS SEPIA 30 (dr reckeweg company)
- 3. CREAM MARKS GO apply at night image displayed.
Dose………you should take two drops of each medicine directly on your tongue three times a day.
if pigmentation develops at the menopausal stage then you should use plumbum metallicum 30 POTENCY drops……two drops three times a day. topical treatment remains the same as mentioned above.
SPECIAL NOTE……HOMEOPATHY treats the melasma or hyperpigmentation according to their cause for example if melasma occurs due to liver diseases then the medicine changed. If the melasma occurs due to a gastric problem then the medicine will be different so please don’t confuse. Rule out any other disease if you have and treat the main root cause.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINAL TREATMENT
(Melasma or Hyperpigmentation how to get rid of)
There are a lot of topical as well as oral medicines in Ayurveda for the treatment of melasma and most of the medicines are safe in nature. You can use ayurvedic medicines without any tension. These medicines are very effective and very safe in nature.
Here I am giving you the best HOME REMEDY to remove pigmentation from the facial as well as other parts of the body.
- First of all, in the morning take a tomato and cut it from the center and massage or rubbing your face gently with TOMATO for a period of 10 to 20 minutes, and after that wash your face with normal water. This is the first-day treatment.
- On the second day in the morning massage your face with GLYCERINE for a period of 5 to 10 minutes and wash your face after that.
- On the third day ….take one to two teaspoons of CHANA FLOUR( BESAN) and add 3 to 4 teaspoons of ROSEWATER( GULAAB JAL) in it and make a paste. Apply this paste on the face and let it dry, After 20 to 30 minutes wash your face with normal water.
The next fourth-day treatment is the same as the first-day treatment and you must repeat this cycle for one month. This remedy treats your melasma as well as fair your skin complexion and also removes dark spots from your face. This is very cheap and the best method to get rid of melasma.
Here I recommend the top ayurvedic brands that are very effective in melasma as well as wrinkles, dark spots, etc, You can buy them online.
in the above-mentioned article, I have described each and every aspect of melasma treatment. You can manage your pigmentation surely with these guidelines. I support the best home remedy and best ayurvedic brands in the treatment of melasma. If you want to use allopathic creams for the treatment then you use them carefully and if you want to consult with me then send me your pigmented area images on my WhatsApp no +91 9855262699.
DR. V. K. GOYAL CURETOALL HOSPITAL NEAR BUNTY HEALTH CLUB GIDDARBAHA MUKTSAR PUNJAB INDIA(melasma-or-hyperpigmentation-how-to-get-rid-of)